At times, members or staff may make payments to the wrong invoice, or may apply a check twice. Being able to unapply a payment allows you to apply the payment to a different invoice OR refund the resulting overpayment, leaving a full "paper trail" of events.
• if payment is on the individual, the payment can be applied to the organizations that the individual is related to.
• If payment is on the organization, the payment can be applied to the individuals related to the organization.
Once a payment has been un-applied, it will be displayed in the Available Credits column on the Billing tab and display as an “Overpayment”. If needed
Unapply a Payment
For the desired contact, click the Billing tab.
- Click the button for the payment you wish to unapply and click Unapply.
- On the Unapply Payment screen, details of the payment are "read only". IMPORTANT: You can only unapply the full payment, not a partial payment.
- Click Unapply. Once you have unapplied, the payment will display as unapplied, and a credit balance will be display in the Balance column. The original invoice to which the payment was applied will be re-opened. The aging days for the invoice will be counted from the original due date, not from the date that the payment is unapplied.
When a payment is unapplied, the original invoice accounting transaction is reversed.
Over-payments may occur because an invoice was not selected when an payment was entered, the payment was entered in error, or simply because a member has sent you additional funds towards future purchases.
You can view over-payments on the member's Billing tab, or by filtering payments to over-payment on the Payments tab in the Billing Module.
- On a contact's record select the Billing tab.
- Click the for the payment you wish to apply and choose Apply Payment.
- Select Apply Overpayment.
- On the Add Apply Overpayment screen select the invoice(s) to which you wish to apply the payment.
- Click Done.
The Transactions by Contact Report provides reporting capability on over payments.
|Did you know: If you have enabled Auto-Apply Credits to Newly Created Invoices under your Finance General Settings over-payments will automatically be applied to newly created invoices.|
View a List of Unapplied Overpayments
To see a list of overpayments that have not yet been applied, go to the Payments tab in the Billing module and filter to Unapplied Overpayments.