Events Use Case: Golf Tournament
GrowthZone’s Events module has evolved to be a great tool in setting up a golf tournament event. Follow the steps below for assistance in setting up a successful golf tournament!
- Set up fee items for registrations and additional items (mulligans, raffle tickets, t-shirts, hats, etc). Best practice for ease of reporting: unique fee items for each registration type and additional item. Example: a Golf Team Registration good/service item, a Golf Individual Registration good/service item, a Mulligan good/service item, etc.
Note: You may create good/service items as needed, but will need to go back to the Setup area to do it; you cannot create them on the fly from within the event. For this reason it is easiest to set them up before creating your event.
- Name: Give the item an easily identifiable name (Golf Individual Registration, Golf Team Registration, Golf Mulligan, etc.)
- Good/Service Type:
- For registration fees use the Event Registration type.
- For additional items you may use Event Registration or Miscellaneous as the type.
- Product Category: this will be unique to your setup. Either select an appropriate category from the dropdown or create a new one by clicking the “+” at the end of the field. Categories are a great reporting tool!
- Description: Give a brief description of the fee item. This can appear on invoices depending on the option selected in your Event Settings.
- Product Description: optional. Internal field for additional details on the item (not visible to members)
- Default Price: exactly as it says. This can be modified when adding the item to the event.
- Default Quantity: set to 1.
- Accounting Type: most likely will be set to Accrual. If further clarification is needed, speak to your accountant/bookkeeper.
- System Income/Receivables/Deposit Accounts: specify the accounts from your GrowthZone Chart of Accounts. If further clarification is needed, speak to your accountant/bookkeeper.
- Product Tax Category/Tax Set: If your organization is using and has taxes set up in GrowthZone, make those selections here. Most commonly these are left blank, but if further clarification is needed, speak to your accountant/bookkeeper.
- Is Recurring Fee (vs one-time): leave unchecked
- Is Active: should be enabled by default; make sure this is checked.
- Revenue Recognition: Select your preference from the available options. If further clarification is needed, speak to your accountant/bookkeeper.
- Invoice template: Indicate your preferred invoice template here. If no selection is made, the system will use the default template indicated in your Finance General Settings.
- Create the event.
- Set up your registration types on the Attendee Setup tab.
- Select your preferred Overall Registration Options.
- Configure your Registration Form Settings.
- For Individual registrations: set up a Simple Paid Registration Type.
- For Team registrations: set up a Table/Team Registration Type. Teams are automatically created using the name of the person making the registration. You can modify teams (edit team names, change team members, etc.) by selecting the Table/Team Management option.
- Custom fields: these are helpful in tracking information not otherwise available in registrations. For golf tournaments, you may want to use them for tracking handicaps, or club rental (left- or right-handed); if providing a box lunch or dinner, you can use them for meal preferences or dietary restrictions. If not using sessions for tee times, you could set these up to collect tee time preferences (first choice, second choice, third choice, etc.).
Example: tee time preference.
- Create the custom field in your event. In this case, we will name this field “Tee Time First Choice”, leaving the Field Area set to Event Registration.
- Set the Custom Field Data Type to Drop Down.
- Configure your drop down selections for the available tee times by clicking the orange “+” to the right of the SelectListItems section.
- Enable the Show on Event Registration, Required for Registrants, and Required for Staff options.
- If you wish to specify a registration type for the custom field (for example, someone purchasing a ticket to attend but not play would not need to select a preferred tee time), enable the Advanced Options at the bottom of the page and select the appropriate registration type for this custom field.
- Click Done.
- Repeat as needed for additional custom fields (Tee Time Second Choice, Tee Time Third Choice, etc.). Modify the Custom Field Data Type for each as needed (example: a text type field could be used to submit a Team Name).
In this example, you would need to manually assign tee times according to order submitted and preference. If registering teams, you could then modify the team name to include submitted team name and the tee time.
- Set up the additional items for purchase- quantity vs yes/no
- Optional: sessions for tee times.
NOTE: Sessions are only available if you subscribe to the Expo module.
Sessions can be used for tee time selection.
- You can set attendee limits on sessions- if you are setting up for foursomes, you would set a limit of 4 on each session.
- Best practice: Have sessions specific to team registrations, and sessions specific to individual registrations.
- EACH TEAM ATTENDEE MUST HAVE THE CORRECT SESSION SELECTED. This can be confusing for some registrants and let’s be honest, people make mistakes. This can cause issues if someone accidentally registers someone on their team for an incorrect tee time, and may prevent a legitimate team registration from being able to select the tee time they prefer.
Sessions can be a GREAT tool for organizing tee times, but they may get complicated, and mistakes do happen. Be prepared to do some correcting via the back office from member mistakes during registration.
Also note that when copying an event, sessions do not copy due to database logistics with times/dates. This may be a consideration if the intent is to use the event as a template for future events.